Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  Partly because I love the turkey, dressing, pecan pie, and all of the other great food, but mainly because I get to spend time with my family.  For a college baseball coach, Thanksgiving is one of 2 or 3 times a year that I get an opportunity to go home and spend a few days at my parent's house.  I love college baseball, and I love coaching, but I really LOVE getting to come home and spend time with my mom, dad, brother, 2 nieces, and all of my old friends that I only get to see a few times a year.

I'm thankful that I'm able to make a living doing what I love (coaching baseball), but it is an extremely time consuming occupation.  The majority of a coach's time is spent practicing, recruiting, playing games, and being on the road.  This doesn't leave a whole lot of time for other things and thats OK with me because I wouldn't want to be doing anything other than coaching.  But, when I'm able to get home for a few days and spend time with my family I realize what I'm most thankful for!

I'm thankful for all of our military, past and present, who have sacrificed so that we're able to live in the greatest nation on earth.

Readers of this blog are usually split into one of three categories - players, coaches, or parents of players.  To all of the players out there I hope that you're thankful to be able to play the great game of baseball.  Thankful for your coaches spending time with you, thankful for your parents giving you rides to and from the ballpark, thankful that you have a glove to put on your hand to play catch, and thankful for your health which allows you to play baseball.

Thanksgiving is an excellent time to remind ourselves how lucky each one of us actually are...and to load up on turkey and dressing too!  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment